Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Hunt'n We Will Go...

This week was ho-hum. Saturday we stayed in to watch Avatar, The Last Air Bender marathon. (I know, we lead exciting lives...) By 7ish, Carl and I were going stir crazy, we just needed to get out, away from the house. We decided to take a quick stroll down the greenbelt along the Boise River, just up a couple miles from the house. It was a nice walk, next time we'll take the bikes for a longer run. By the time we were done, we figured, it's time to eat dinner. (The long daylight hours still have us screwed up.) So, just before they closed, we dashed into Winger's, a "diner" kind of place in town. We were happily surprised. Carl LOVES him some chick'n wings. Me, not so much. It's the bones and stringy thingies. (uck) But, I did enjoy their boneless wings wrap in original sauce. The big bonus was that the girls ate for $1.99 each! Yea, we were excited. (We don't eat out much...) The kid's dinners were adult size with healthy sides. It's a place to go back.

Sunday, Carl was getting ready for church before I got out of bed. Okay, I was suspicious. Usually he starts his Sundays off out in the yard and I have to yell at him at few times before he'll come in at 8:45am to shower and get ready, when we have to be out the door no later than 9am. He was ready and made breakfast too. I knew something was definitely up when he started packing up the cooler with drinks and snacks. What's up?! He did say we were going to church, didn't he? Then he let me in on the plans. He wanted to take "the girls" to the range to pop off a few rounds. Aahhh..... That explained it ALL, why he was showered AND ready for church before I got out of bed, why breakfast was made, and why he was in such a chipper mood filling up the cooler. (i didn't even ask him to do it) He was go'n shoot'n. After church, we headed to an outdoor range open to the public. (That's where the guys went after church last weekend.) The girls had to take Daddy's Gun Safety 101 even before we took the "targets" out of the truck, let alone the guns. I was happy he didn't give them the LA Sheriff's version he learned in the academy, "Shoot first and ask questions later". (did I say that out loud?) 8)

We had a wonderful time, just the 4 of us at the shooting range, under the EasyUp over the pickup bed with the camping chairs and cooler. Sounds like a hick day out, hu? Yup, yup, that's us... Karli was happy to just empty one clip of the 22 rifle and suck on sunflower seeds the rest of the time. Calista, on the other hand, wanted to shoot, shoot, shoot. If she wasn't shooting, she was reloading the clips. Both of them did really well lining up the crosshairs and targets. The rifle is adult size and a bit awkward for them to hold, but all in all, they did exceptionally well for their first time out. Carl brought his "toy" out to empty a couple boxes of ammo. I haven't shot a gun since before the girls were born (we used to go often) and I forgot how much of a kick a 9mm full size Beretta pistol can have. I was ready for it, but not ready for it. I emptied one clip and went back to the rifle. Much easier and a bit more fun chasing the soup cans and plastic bottles around the range.

We told Keith about our day in the sun and are planning for our families to go out to the range early this coming Saturday. It'll be fun, I'll make sure to take pictures...

Click here or on the left to check out pictures from our paper target hunt'n day. I've included a few pictures of our "crops" too. Can't wait for harvest time...

1 comment:

Holly said...

Cassie, you & Carl need to get those girls in 4-H. They have projects to do everything from shooting sports to sewing to food & nutrition to photography to community service to raising animals for competition. That's what you do when you live in the country. We did it for nine years and I even got college scholarships from it. One of my friends went to the Olympics for shooting sports. You should check it out: www.4h.uidaho.edu. In Texas, it's run by the Texas Agricultural Extension Service which is part of the Texas A&M University System. Looks like the Idaho 4-H program is run by the University of Idaho Extension service. Parents get involved too. It's great for families.