A summer storm. That's what they're calling it on the news channels. I call it FREAKY weather. We had thunder showers wake us up this morning around 3am. We sleep with our windows open because it gets nice and cold at night. Well last night it wasn't such a good idea. I loved the cold air coming in, but it was the loud thunder that I wasn't too fond of. Carl jerked out of sleep which caused me to wake with a start to the flash of lightning and the clap of thunder. What a sight it was. I love the intricate flashes of lightning, (as long as it's far away...) The thunder was spectacular also. Trying to go back to sleep, on the other hand, was difficult with the rock'n & roll'n going on outside. For Carl, it's white noise. Then comes his snoring, which is my white noise.
We woke at 7ish to 68 degrees with 80% humidity. Where are we, Hawaii? I think not. The breeze was still cool, so I kept all the windows and doors open. Then around 11:00, the sky started getting dark and the wind picked up. You could hear the thunder in the distance to the west. In a couple of minutes you could see the lightning and hear the thunder getting closer. The wind was blowing now and the rain broke loose. All of a sudden sheets of rain were upon us with the wind gusting it sideways. Calista was freaking out like crazy, begging me to close the windows. Of course, I ran for the camera instead. While I was snapping some pictures and clips of video, it started to hail. By the time it was done, it looked like a light dusting of snow. The rain was falling so fast that the gutters on the roof couldn't accomodate all of the water and the rain was flowing over the sides of the gutters. Then the rain and wind let up. It sprinkled for a few minutes and then the clouds broke and the sun came out. What was up with that?! Just before it started to rain, the temp. was 80 degrees with 48% humidity. Right after it stopped, the temp was 64 with 98% humidity. The whole charade was maybe 15 minutes, from the wind and clouds to the sunshine. Again, what's up with that?! The news said that some places received up to an inch in 30 minutes. Wind gusts reached 40mph, knocked down trees and power was out to a few cities in a couple of counties. We were fine, just enjoying the show.
The kids played out back after lunch. The irrigation ditch was flooded, I'm sure it had some to do with the freaky weather just a couple of hours earlier. Well it overflowed into a patch of dirt Carl tilled a couple of weeks ago. Water + dirt= kid magnet. When Keith came over to pick up his two, they were covered in all that muddy goodness. So, he left them. What, was it my fault that they were so attracted to the muck and yuck? Nah, really, he had an errand to run and came back for them after I had them clean up and dry off. What a great cousin I am, hu Keith? 8) I caught a couple of cute pictures of them making mud pies and squishing their toes in the mud. You can check them out, here, or to the left.
What a weird weather day...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
That's called a summer storm Cassie. I know you guys don't have "weather" in California, so get used to it. :) Aren't they fun though?!
Post a Comment